Why Stories Are Important

Black and Red Typewriter
Some people would say that stories don't matter. And maybe they don't to them. Everyone is different, after all. So it should not be surprising to hear that stories don't matter to some people.

I was still surprised anyway.

Stories have been an immense part of my childhood from the very beginning. I listened to my parents telling me stories, and, as I soon as I could, I learned to read myself. So that I could experience them face to face. They're an integral part of my world. I don't know what I'd do without them.

Stories teach us things that we can't learn in our own lives. We can experience things like war, betrayal, and immense changes seemingly first-hand. The things that impact and shape characters change us and how we see the world too. We can grow through stories, see mistakes before we make them, and feel things we may never have felt otherwise.

Stories reflect the truths and lies in our world, and show us things that we can't see in our daily lives.

Stories are a way to escape into a better world, where heroes live and fight and characters learn important life lessons. There are hard things that happen, sure, but there is always an ending, happy or not, and resolution. Real life doesn't feel like it always has a resolution. It often feels like we're just continually moving on. But stories have that. Stories end and we see why things happened. There is a reason for everything.

Comments